The History of Bluecol
Blue antifreeze was originally developed and manufactured by Smiths Industries, the aviation specialists. The name Bluecol was officially registered in 1934.
For many years Bluecol Antifreeze was the original fill in many makes of vehicle including Rover, Triumph, MG, Hillman and renowned premium car brands such as Jaguar, Land Rover and Bentley to name but a few. Bluecol was also the chosen anti-freeze for most of the major bus companies and commercial truck fleet operators.
Over its illustrious 70 year history, the Bluecol brand has belong to several companies including;
Smiths industries 1934 – 1974
Lucas 1974 – 1994
Bluecol Brands 1994 – 2000
Pennzoil/Shell 2000 – 2007
Bluecol is now firmly back in British hands with the privately owned Tetrosyl Group Limited. Bluecol joins an impressive portfolio of eminent and award winning brands including T-Cut, Triplewax, CarPlan, Wonder Wheels and Carlube lubricants.
Bluecol Antifreeze has been a part of British heritage since 1937, and has a history of advertising and marketing activity in both trade and retail. Many of these items now take pride of place in collectors portfolios and museums, including metal signs, Antifreeze measuring jugs, packaging, model collectorsâ€™ trains, buses, cars as well newspaper and magazine advertisements.
The Bluecol ‘British Robin’ with its woolly hat is believed to have been introduced by Lucas around the 1950′s. Over the years the Robin has evolved to become the logo you see today.